Wednesday, May 14, 2008

One step closer...

Looks like it is indeed a badged Eldredge. I found this:


From Sears, 1880s or 90s. So mine is an updated version of this, I believe, from 1910 and badged differently as "American." Same treadle and leg designs (minus the badge); same drawer hardware, and same case design (I understand many of these were very different). I think the badge would have been again located in that gaping oval in the center of the stand (there's little round holes, like it might have had something mounted there). Still don't know who branded this as the "American" model, but it would likely be Sears or Montgomery Ward, I think...I'll have to question my grandmother about where they ordered most of their things. She wouldn't have been born yet, but they may have only had access to one or two catalogs, as far out as they were.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you post the patent dates, I might could help you track down the actual patents and identify whose patents were used to make the sewing machine although I think your ad is pretty good confirmation. (They didn't require patent numbers on the devices until sometime later. I have paged through a large number of patents to find the maker of our pedestal sink and of our glider's casters.)

Amalie said...

Thanks! I meant to post them this weekend, but got a little distracted by our lovely weather...I also meant to attend the house show, by the way, but was distracted that weekend by our terrible weather...

I'm pretty sure it's an Eldredge/National, but I'm not sure which catalog. I did ask my grandmother which ones she remembered ordering from, and she said Sears, Montgomery Ward, and National Bellas Hess. I'm going to work on getting my hands on archives of those catalogs...

Don't know why it matters so much to me-- it's a sentimental piece of furniture that I played on and with as a kid and I wouldn't ever want to get rid of it. I'm just really curious about where it came from, I guess.

Jennifer said...

Oh, a TREADLE sewing machine? I want one! I've heard they make the best stitches! Does it work?

Amalie said...

I think it works-- the needle moves when you crank the upper wheel by hand, and the fly wheel really gets going when you pump the treadle-- all it needs is a belt, as far as I can tell; the drawers are actually even full of thread!

Sandy said...

I have an old treadle. It beat all modern machines hands down until the belt broke. I have been way too lazy and not replaced it.