Monday, May 19, 2008

Never thought I'd have to weed the patio

It was a good weekend, but I can't say the things I accomplished warrant pictures, really. Doing regular house things like, oh say, cleaning. Laundry. Weeding the patio. Filling in the dog-dug holes in the backyard. Potting cat grass. Dishes. Cooking. Grocery shopping. These are things people are supposed to do all the time-- whether they're renovating or not-- right? I wouldn't really know. Spending every weekend on this little "project" meant we let our other house go to shit on a regular basis. I'm trying to keep up with things at this place now, while unpacking (still) and preparing for the final inspection. Sigh. Never enough time or money. I'm pretty sure that an abundance of one or the other of those things would solve the above dilemma.

The good news? The roofer stopped by yesterday and told us they had already pulled the permit for our house. YAY! But then again, this only brings us one step closer to making a trim decision. I'm starting to think perhaps a nice warm, deep gray? Or a gray/olive green-- Something like Sherwin Williams Ruskin Pewter or Green Bronze. I really wanted to do red-- like the picture a few posts below, but leaving all the vertical slats white-- but I'm getting a lot of negative feedback, albeit, some of it's from people like my mother who says, "I HATE all light colored houses with dark trim. So I won't like anything you show me. It looks country." She's a designer, who is perhaps a wee bit colorblind, but maybe I should rethink the red. I'm wondering if my overwhelming desire for a balance of color (as in, not all white) has led me a bit astray. I don't know. It's all a moot point until we get a roof, so. Hm.

Meanwhile, I tried some organic "no dig" granules in the yard and seeded over some of the bare spots. The granules were white pepper, thyme and peppermint oil. I also added some cayenne to the mix. First thing Simon did? He ate it. Apparently, unlike most dogs, he loves him some pepper. Next step is the designated digging area. Beyond that, I just keep sweeping the dirt back to its proper location every morning. Oh well.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unpacking boxes? The city told us that we can't move anything in until AFTER the final inspection :(

Amalie said...

No occupancy change-- the house was in perfectly move-in-able condition when we bought, we just added central heat and air, which turned into a bigger electrical fiasco than planned. The "repairs" from the electrical work are taking longer than expected. A big fiasco, yes, but no architectural changes. We just had the final mechanical on the CH/A...

Hopefully we're ok! Too late to repack and leave, now...

Good luck with your final!!

Joanne said...

I've given up on trying to get our dog to stop digging. She sees me doing it and tries to help, I think, because her holes are generally right next to a tree or bush I've just planted! I just sigh at her, tell her no, and fill the holes back up.

Your dog isn't the only one who likes pepper, either; Maggie, apparently, likes jalapenos.

Jennifer said...

Good luck with the digging area... I have one I'm working on for MY dogs, too!