Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Guess what's in front of MY house?

That's right. Shingles. And not the chicken pox kind! The roofers are supposed to begin this morning, though I know they had a helluva house to work on down the street. But with the supplies in such close proximity, I can almost taste the new look of our house.

The bad news? I mean, isn't there always some bad news? I had the opportunity to go to Lebanon through work next month. We were monitoring the situation there closely, and then things really just blew up...And then they got better...but they've put off a lot of the important issues for later discussion. I've decided that in light of the things still unresolved and all the family obligations, it wouldn't be particularly responsible of me to go, just in case. It's still a little unstable and there's definitely risks involved. When you consider whether your will is in order and updated before going somewhere you don't have to go, it certainly makes you think. Not that I shouldn't take care of this anyway. It just, well... made me think about how much responsibility I carry in my personal life.

I've decided not to go. I'm really fucking sad about this whole turn of events. I've wanted to go to the Middle East for forever. And I would've been paid to do it.

3 comments:

Sandy said...

Better to be safe than sorry. It's just not a good place to be these days.

Jennifer said...

I imagine the Middle East must be beautiful...in better times though. We don't realize how many people are affected by our being until we sit and think of what losses others would suffer without us - and those losses are greater than we realize sometimes.

Anonymous said...

If you went you'd miss the new roof. I can't think of too many things more satisfying than a new roof.