Monday, May 5, 2008

Miscellany

There were other things that happened around here besides the backsplash. A new hummingbird feeder:


I know this is common knowledge, but seriously, how do they get away with charging so much for red-colored sugar water? We made out own hummingbird food. I'm working on a regular hanging bird feeder, so I'll post pics of that when I'm done.

A new hanging plant for the porch:

Our climbing rose has about 30 buds on it, and about 8 or so have started to open. The rose in the compost started blooming! Adam painted the broom closet and hot water heater closet doors and got those hung up. I mowed the yard.

And does this rings a bell?


I finally sucked it up and bought a textured vinyl window covering:


I really like it, but I also haven't checked its privacy level at night time, so I'll do that soon. I'ts pretty easy to install-- static cling and water!-- but I'd recommend using 2 people...

I'd call this our most productive weekend since we moved in. I feel a little bit re-energized!

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

We bought my husband's aunt one of those hummingbird feeders for Christmas last year! Then of course, I saw the COOLEST ones at this blown glass studio downtown. I might have to get one for me...

Joanne said...

Nice progress, and I love the hummingbird feeder.

Jennifer said...

I agree, that feeder is gorgeous. We have/had plans to put up a couple red plastic ones but I was under the impression that if you don't have the feeder up for them by late March or early April when they fly in that it is too late for that season so we haven't put them out. Are we incorrect in this? If you put up a feeder in mid-late Spring will the hummingbirds find it?

Amalie said...

Jen--

Last weekend, my mother and I saw the first scouts come check out the feeder on her porch, so I figured it'd be worth a shot! I'll let you know how it turns out. And for a few bucks for the feeder and the cost of sugar water, I can't lose...

Anonymous said...

First I must say how much I enjoy your blog. I read it often. I make my own hummingbird feeder water. According to my mother in law its 4to 1. Four cups of water add 1 cup of sugar and boil. Let it cool and if you like you can add red food coloring. She has hundreds of feeders. It worked for me too as I have had dozens. Hope this helps
TracyLynne

Amalie said...

Thanks TraceyLynne, it's nice to hear!

Four to one is actually exactly what we ended up doing. It's just amazing to me that it's that simple and they still charge and arm and a leg for it at the store!!

Well, a comparative arm and leg...

Amalie said...

Ack! Sorry for the misspelling!

Christopher Busta-Peck said...

For a slightly more permanent approach, if you like, to the window vinyl, you can have the glass sandblasted. Same look, slightly better finish quality.