Saturday, February 16, 2008

Notes from the Lutheran Women's League Fundraiser Cookbook, in pictures.

Actually, this is the best recipe from the original edition of Diet for a Small Planet, but which was left out of the 20th Anniversary Edition.

I'm not sure what it's called-- my pages from the original are crumbled to the point where I can't read the name. No worries! I have the recipe memorized. It's a cross between a spinach pie and a quiche...It's cheap, it's quick and it all gets dumped into one bowl.

Here's the players:

2 or 3 eggs (I use 3)
6 Tbsp flour (no particular kind-- th recipe says whole wheat, but I use whatever's in the cabinet. )
1/2 tsp salt
16 oz spinach; fresh is obviously tastier, but c'mon. Sometimes you gotta go frozen.
8 oz shredded cheddar
16 oz cottage cheese
Some wheat germ-- a couple of tablespoons. I've also used breadcrumbs in a pinch.

First things first, start thawing the spinach and put the oven on 350. Crack the eggs, and beat in the flour and salt with a fork. It looks pretty gross.


Now add the cheddar and the cottage cheese:

Now it looks lumpy and kind of gross. Trust me that it gets better-- I promise. And how much do you love the pink cracked formica, eh? Clearly the pink follows us.

Anyway, Now your spinach should be thawed. Add it to mix.


Now spread it into a greased (or Pam'd in my case) 9X13 pan. You can use a pie pan, but it has to cook a lot longer. Sprinkle some wheat germ on top. We finally emptied our jar tonight-- keep it in the freezer, and it will last years. A little goes a long way...


Into the oven:

Klassy, right? You see now what we're moving up from...

And wait.


When it's a little bubbly on the side, it's ready. Dish up.


Ok. So it's not particularly pretty. But it's pretty yum!

Adam prefers it on Day 2 cold. I like it hot, though. And how can you go wrong? It's got your greens, your perfect proteins (eggs) and your combined proteins (dairy and wheat germ and flour). A vegetarian's dream. Not that I am one, but sometimes, a one dish meal that doesn't involve meat and requires minimal clean-up is what I need at the end of a long day spent mattress shopping.

No comments: