Monday, December 24, 2007

Birthday revealed

This weekend, with the aid of a flashlight and my trusty compact mirror, I was able to find a date stamp on the backside of the bathroom sink. I wasn't able to find a year stamp on the toilet a couple of weeks ago, but we did locate a model number. I did a little research and found that it was a popular model in the 1950s.

Toilets break and get replaced and so I wasn't necessarily satisfied. Then I found a number of vintage American Standard ads on eBay that pictured sinks very similar to ours, that spanned from the 40s into the 50s.

Adam checked the bottom of the sink, but didn't find a stamp. Then Sunday, I scooted on my back and pretzled myself into a position where I could see that there were numbers on the surface facing the wall, but couldn't read them. It took a little mental rearranging to read the date in the mirror-- it was upside down and, obviously, backward. But we have a year.

1952.

With so many mixed styles in the room, it's nice to have that settled. Now on to the decorating.

No comments: