Wednesday, July 9, 2008

A housepaint epiphany

I think I may have a plan for my exterior color scheme. But I haven't shown it to Adam yet, so...Shhh! I'm not showing it to you yet because I don't want to completely jinx it.

At any rate, I thought this would be a good opportunity to share with you another bargain that I found. You may know that I didn't think very highly of my Sherwin Williams interior Classic99 paint experience. This, however, is their low-end line and we've since used their low-VOC alkyd paint for interior trim and have been pretty happy with it-- it's gloopy, but that's the way it goes with alkyd; I may try an additive with the next gallon.

ANYWAY! During my epiphany, I went onto SW's virtual painter application to see if I could find a color similar to my Photoshop choice. That's where I discovered 2 things. First of all, SW lists the RGB values of each of its colors. This isn't going to change the fact that every color looks different in huge quantities, and never looks like it does on a monitor. But, that does at least help make the color slightly more accurate in relation to the things around it when photoshopping said color into a pic. Yes, I know there's a lot of problems with that, but I liked having hte tool for some comparison.

The second thing I saw was that if you use the color visualizer and click to print the color info, you get a 15% off coupon for your next purchase. This is great, because we definitely need more trim paint, and I'm willing to give the higher quality lines a shot on the exterior if I don't find a color I like better elsewhere.

So anyway, mum on that whole epiphany thing, but I thought I'd pass on the savings at least...

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Lucky! I just STARTED the search for an exterior color plan.

That's great about the coupon! We haven't settled on a paint company yet... just trying to get families and types of colors down first!