Monday, September 29, 2008

Success...I think

As foggy as I am with these allergies, I'm not sure I would know the difference between success and failure. I'm reduced to staring at small shiny objects and snuffling all the snot in my head.

So I won't do a lot of talky wordy business this morning. I will, however, show some pictures.

The main thing that got done this weekend was the porch ceiling. I stuffed the cracks with backer rod and caulked and painted, and we installed the new ceiling fan. It had some god-awful ugly "weathered oak" faux-wood faux-grained blades, so I also spray-painted those black. And we bought the crown for the kitchen and primed it, and bought oak to trim out the countertops.

We're on a roll. Here's some pictures of the finished porch ceiling. Some before shots can be found here and here. Now we just need to screen...




That business on the left isn't as bad as it looks here-- the wide-angle lens is distorting, and a fresh coat of paint behind it will do wonders. It's one of the many things we simply couldn't fix without tearing out a huge portion of ceiling, all for something cosmetic.

5 comments:

Just A Girl And Her Craftsman Bungalow said...

I think think this is fantastic. I have a ceiling fan in one of the back bedrooms that I dont' use and now I'm going to think of putting it on the porch. Only issue is that it doesn't really get that hot here? So we shall seem. But thanks for the great idea.

Heather & Zach said...

Wow! It looks great! You're making me feel guilty for getting nothing done this weekend on my place. Ooh, I did order a stove- that's kind of a home improvement- right?

Amalie said...

Thanks!

As for the fan, this one is certified to get wet, so it's supposed to be good for use outdoors. However, if you have a fan you'd otherwise be getting rid of, then I'm not sure it matters much...I can't imagine there's a difference in the wiring. Reuse and Recycle...

And yes, Heather, a stove is a legitimate home improvement. Now you just have to use it. That's how they get you ;-) Did you end up getting one like ours?

Unknown said...

what a nice piece of work
congrats.
Gina from Germany

Kristin said...

Great porch, I imagine you will spend many warm nights out there. Thanks for the link too!