Thursday, September 25, 2008

A mighty, mighty breakthrough

So this is what I saw when I woke up this morning:


Pardon the blurs-- it was still dark out and he was sleeping soundly when I started taking this picture...Anyway, that right there is a dog sleeping on his Coolaroo raised outdoor bed. When he sleeps inside, he lays on a store-bought bed. He likes it. So then I bought him this bed that's raised off the ground for hot days, it's washable, it's sturdy, it's low to the ground for easy climbing in. It got great reviews. But outside, well...he likes the flowerbed. He'd jump on the coolaroo and sit when we went outside-- so he could get a treat, of course. He'd lie down on it-- while I was petting him. But never have I seen him, OF HIS OWN ACCORD, go to it and sleep. Without my presence. Without treats. I even brought it inside for a while, and still, never did I wander to the back room to find him curled up on it. Luckily, it wasn't, like, major award expensive, and the Sneaky kitty likes it, so I didn't exactly consider it a wasted purchase-- just not really being used for its intended purchase.

But last night, that all changed. It made me so happy. I just laid in bed and watched out the window for a while.

And then, what a lovely drive to work, eh?

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I've always wondered if my dogs would like one of those... they, too, prefer cool, fresh dug dirt. :)

I drug an old futon mattress out to my living room to get ready to give away, and my black dog jumped right up on it, sprawled out, and fell asleep in about 2 seconds. Funny how dogs are.

Amalie said...

Jennifer-- just an update...I've caught him sleeping on it several more times since then. Granted, he's still digging in his favorite flower bed, but not in the other places as much. The bed's not expensive-- about $30. Apparently, it just takes some getting used to. Mostly, though, he likes our bed; he's too old to jump on it himself, but bless him, he tries.

My cats are funny about their space, too. As soon as the dog goes outside, they run and flop down on his inside bed. It's like laying there means they win!