Mother Nature finally gave us a weekend worth spending outside. I spent Saturday doing some dog training outside the house and picked up a bunch of paint samples from Lowe's. Today, we chose a few and here's the result:
Of course, the colors don't translate, so it's a little pointless for me to post these pics.
The red on the left is an old color sample. The middle color is somewhat more taupe-- warmer-- than it looks in the picture. The white is perhaps not quite right, but I do like the red:
The color on the right is actually greener than it looks, and I'm not crazy about this red; also, perhaps too dark(?):
Well, it's crunch time. We basically have to get the house painted this month. We also have to fix the hole in our ceiling.
I'm hoping that the weather will stay nice, but I can't count on it. Considering the weather and our budget, we're leaning toward using Valspar Duramax paint. It's supposed to be good down to 35º, it's acrylic so it's ok for brick, and it's got a fairly quick drying time, so they advertise that it's less likely to be affected by wet weather (within a certain time frame, obviously) or morning dew. We've had such great success with other Valspar paints that I'm willing to give this a shot.
Now. As to color...
Last time I talked about this, we had decided to scrap the idea of a brick color, due to the horrendous tuck-pointing on the front of the house.
We then moved on to this color scheme-- Adam slapped this together (with an old photo that doesn't include our new gable vent) and he is MUCH better at Photoshop than I am:
Basically, a nice taupe on the body, buff on the trim, and the red brick for the eaves.
Now, Adam hasn't seen these offenses to Photoshop that I concocted last night, but they are basically colors that we've discussed...
With a red stripe continuing across the front:
I'm torn. The taupey/beige and green and red are very Craftsman and earthy and I like them very much. But the taupey/beige and buff is so clean and simple, if a bit boring. Flowers in the spring, summer and fall, and holiday decorations in the winter go a long way to helping with that, so...Admittedly, it was hard to get the right color green and the crispness that it should have since I did such a quick, down and dirty job of mocking it up. At any rate...
I just don't know.
Edit-- clearly needs a richer green...more olive, less mint. But hopefully this is enough to get an idea...So torn.